Underfloor heating may seem like a luxury for many but when installed correctly, it’s a great alternative heating system that’s better for the environment and will save you money on your energy bills. Here we look at how underfloor heating works and the benefits of installing it in your home.
What is underfloor heating?
Underfloor heating is a state-of-the-art replacement for your old, bulky radiators. It can dramatically smarten up the appearance of your home, which is ideal if you’re planning to sell. Underfloor heating warms your home through a system installed beneath your flooring and it distributes heat evenly through every room.
What are the different types of underfloor heating?
There are two main types of underfloor heating:
- Water underfloor heating or wet systems
- Electric underfloor heating
Water underfloor heating connects to your central heating via plastic pipes that run through the floor. Electric underfloor heating uses electricity via fitted cables.
How long does underfloor heating take to warm up?
Depending on the type of underfloor heating you have, it can heat up in as little as 30 minutes. During the winter months, most people choose to leave their underfloor heating on for longer on a low temperature.
Which rooms can you get underfloor heating in?
Depending on the structure of your house, underfloor heating can be fitted in most rooms, under many different types of flooring, including:
- Carpet and rug flooring (with low TOG value)
An underfloor heating installation can be completed on both the ground and upper floors or your home. The most popular room for underfloor heating installation is the bathroom, to keep your feet nice and toasty!
What are the benefits of underfloor heating?
There are many benefits to underfloor heating, including:
- Once installed, it’s very low maintenance
- Underfloor heating works at a lower temperature so can reduce your energy bills
- It distributed heat evenly around each room
- It’s hidden under the floor and takes no wall space compared with bulky radiators
- Underfloor heating makes your home cosy and is safe for children and pets
How is underfloor heating installed?
Underfloor heating installation should be carried out by a professional. Installing a water-based system requires the floor to be temporarily removed, the pipes laid and connected to the boiler. Depending on the size and number of rooms this can take a number of days. Once installed, underfloor heating requires very little maintenance.
How much is underfloor heating?
There are three cost areas to underfloor heating: System costs, installation costs and running costs. Things to consider:
- Dry systems can be a lot more expensive to run than wet
- The installation cost depends on how the system you are installing and how many rooms you have
- Underfloor heating can offer substantially lower running costs compared to traditional central heating
For a quick and affordable underfloor heating quote, contact our team today.
What underfloor heating services do Lazard Plumbing offer?
At Lazard Plumbing, we can support you with your underfloor heating installation. Our services include:
- Water underfloor heating
- Design, installations and repairs
- Single room underfloor heating
- Multi-zone underfloor heating
- WIFI smart thermostats and controls
- 20mm insulations boards
- Underfloor heating for tiles, wood, vinyl and carpet
- Extensions underfloor heating
- Manifold repairs and installations
- Actuators and wiring centres replacements
We love helping our customers make the move to efficient underfloor heating, and we’re confident we can help you too. Our team plan, install, and service bespoke underfloor heating solutions, so you can kick off your slippers!
You can expect prompt and professional service every time, with the work carried out by our friendly and reliable team. All works completed by us are covered under our 24-month guarantee, so if anything goes wrong, we’ll be back to put it right.
Whether your home is in need of plumbing, underfloor heating installation, gas boiler installation and central heating, power flushing or bathroom refurbs, we can help.
For complete peace of mind home plumbing solutions in Hornchurch, Essex and surrounding areas, contact our friendly team on 01708 502 346 or click here to fill out a contact form.
We’re not just available for small projects, if you’re looking for plumbing for home renovation & refurbishment, we’ve got you covered!
If you’re a fellow building and construction professional on the lookout for a plumbing partner to collaborate with you on building and construction projects, contact Lazard Plumbing today!